Friday, July 29, 2005

Yarn Overdose

For anyone feeling a bit jealous of all the lovely yarn I got yesterday at Get Knitted, don't worry, I'm now paying the price of spending 2 hours in a warehouse filled with yarn. My asthma has gotten really bad and I did not get a good nights sleep last night and have felt lousy all day. I feel like a kid that ate too many sweets in the sweetie shop. And it's made me realise that the idea we had of moving to St Ives in Cornwall and opening a yarn store just isn't going to happen. You can hardly keep everything wrapped in plastic bags can you, or say, sorry, we don't stock that - I'm allergic to it!

But to cheer me up I am lovingly looking at all my yarn and DH has helped me wind the balls of Colinette Skye so I can start a felted bag in the new Stitch 'n Bitch Nation book. AND we've started winding the huge hank of Cherry Tree Hill Merino Lace. It is still a huge hank and still oh such a small ball of yarn.........looks this this one will be a long job. Could be months before I manage to actually start knitting with it!

I might try the lovely Denise Needles with the felted bag pattern. They arrived today and look ever so useful. I like all the putting together and taking apart. As does my DH who really is the greatest ball winder. More patient than me, thats for sure.

I know I said yesterday I wouldn't mention my rather surprising yarn buying yesterday, but Linda spotted the lovely Calmer in Chiffon hidden amongst it all. Can you believe it was £14 for 7 balls! This really was the bargain area. The Summer Tweed I got was even less per ball and is for a bag from 25 Bags to Knit. And the odd skeins of Lorna's Laces had a third off so perfect for me as they'll make a pair of trainer socks. Well, they will when I actually knit them:)

So now I've explained it I'm sure you can understand how I ended up with 2 carrier bags worth of yarn. Too good an opportunity to miss. So for anyone planning a visit on the next open day, you might find the bargain bit just a little bit emptier....... but it really is so worth a visit. It is just great to be able see all the yarns in the flesh and I saw the actual real Noro shade cards - I wasn't even sure they even existed. Fabolous.

The needle holder Sue gave me with my purchases is lovely and very handy for storing needles that you're using. And the pen is just perfect for pattern notes. If another pen should find it's way to me with my next order it would not go unappreciated (hope you're reading this Sue;).

And for everyone fed up with our lousy summer in the UK, a pic of a beach I took in Cornwall which proves we do actually have a summer. Just not sure exactly when.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our house is full of Get Knitted pens, sent by mail, because they are 1) pink, 2)just the right size to put in the penholders attached to diaries and 3)funny. I had to explain the pun to the children. Luckily my husband hasn't realised each pen represents a yarn order!

Anonymous said...

Oops again. That's me, Linda

littlelixie said...

get knitted pens eh? Hmmmmm...must take a look over threre.

Anonymous said...

Be warned - it took me more than 3 hours to wind up my Cherry Tree Hill laceweight! The results are worth it though.

Joan said...

What a lovely beach. I could picture myself there knitting with no one around except maybe other knitters :-)

Anonymous said...

OH what a beautiful picture, I could just lie there and knit all day!